MERG (Model Electronic Railway Group) is an international, UK based group promoting interest in the application of electronics & computers to all aspects of railway modelling.
Founded in 1967, the Group’s aim is to actively promote and advance the use of electronic and computer technology for model railway operation, which is ideally suited to take advantage of these technologies, and the application of electronics and computers can be used to good effect to add enhanced features and realism to model railway operation.
I caught wind of MERG from a post on a Yahoo group when someone mentioned they were going to build the MERG DCC Booster. I joined (which does cost) because of the many kits they make available to members only. Costs include a £5.00 ($8.76 CAD) joining fee and an annual membership fee (for outside Europe) of £20.00 ($35.05 CAD).
- Website – The website is split into two parts – the public area and the “members only” area. The public area provides access to a large range of resources, including beginners’ tutorials, and projects – detailed technical information will be found on the resources pages and the ‘links’ page will take you to many other related sites. The members area provides access to our forum, membership details, our online shop with information on available kits, Journal, Wiki and technical bulletins.
- Technical Bulletins – These are formal records of information relating to MERG designs, solutions, the theory behind the kits and educational subjects. There are over 250 available on a wide selection of topics.
- Kits – MERG Kits cover a wide range of functions. They usually come as complete packages with the circuit board and all the components needed to build a fully working module, along with comprehensive instructions. The increasing range of low cost, self assembly kits is available to members via our online shop.
- Assistance – Through meetings, the Forum, email groups, courses & training days, & Local Area Groups, as well as informal one-to-one contact with experienced members.
- Regular Journal – The Journal contains short technical articles, news and information and is distributed at four times a year to all members. It also contains new ideas & developments, along with notification of the latest Technical Bulletins. Members can access the full back catalogue of Journals via our website.
- Meeting other members: Meetings are held in Central London at least four times a year, open to anyone. Copies of the presentations are normally posted here on the website. We encourage members to get together locally and at present, there are currently over 20 established Local Area Groups.
- Local Area Groups – Located around the world, an have an increasing number of regional groups for members.
- Training – We have lots of information available on our website for beginners. Local Area Groups often run courses on relevant matters. MERG also provides tutors for courses run at Missenden Abbey, Buckinghamshire, including an “Electronics for Railway Modellers” weekend.
- Discounts – Available to members on selected commercial products.
- Exhibitions – MERG appears at several major shows each year, as well as a number of smaller ones, usually attended by the Local Area Groups.